Situated in the heart of city our college was started in 1933. A meeting of “Special General Committee” of Hitkarini Sabha was conducted on 25th April’1933 in which the members decided to start an Arts College and consequently, this college was started in the building of Hitkarini School on 2nd July, 1933 and named “Hitkarini City College”.
The college was started with seven teachers and eleven students which rose to thirty four in the very next year and Nagpur University gave it recognition for five years. In 1935, a female student Smt. K. Kapoor, secured first position in the merit list of B. A. examination of Nagpur University. The college got government grant in 1938 and since then progressed having illustrious teachers and alumni who have been freedom fighters and could get good positions in all walks of life.
The college became the best college in “Jabalpur City” when it was affiliated to Sagar University. At the peak of our freedom struggle in the wake of condemning foreign influence on each sphere of life, the name of the college was officially changed to “Hitkarini Mahavidyalaya” in 1946-47.
The college which was all these years imparting co-education, changed over to become an exclusively Women’s College in 1980-81; and was named “Hitkarini Mahila Mahavidyalaya”. The college now has classes upto graduation level in Arts, Commerce and Science faculty and post graduation level in four subjects namely Economics, Political Science, Sociology and Hindi Literature, M.Com.The college has grown over the years and started new subjects at graduation level.